I Have a Brain Tumor, and I Need Your Help

There's the dirty little devil

If you’re a good friend of mine, or a friend on Facebook, you probably know that I have been dealing with cancer for the past year. Initially I had a tumor the size of a fist in my right breast, and was treated with 16 rounds of chemotherapy, which failed to shrink the tumor. Therefore, I underwent a double mastectomy with reconstruction and 30 rounds of radiation to my chest.

Once this was completed in November of 2011, I was excited to get back to “normal” life–building my business, hanging out with friends who had not seen me in a long time, and simply reveling in the day-to-day activities of a healthy person. However, that quickly changed.

Around Thanksgiving I started feeling some soreness that started in my lower-right side, which I attributed to starting a new workout regime. I tried to think nothing of it, but the pain began to really interfere with daily activities. I mentioned this to my oncologist, who sent me to get an MRI, CT and a bone scan.

No…Anything but that!

The results came back. The scans detected cancer in my lung, liver, spine, ribs and pelvis. And of course, with this news, came more radiation, chemotherapy, and the need to walk with a cane. The radiation folks were able to blast the tumor in my pelvis, and now comes the slow process of regenerating bone in that area. But my turmoil has not ended there.

About three weeks ago I woke up on the morning of a chemotherapy treatment with a massive headache. I mentioned this to my oncologist, and he responded, to my surprise, that if the headaches persist I ought to go for a brain MRI. And persist they did. I went in for the test, and the results came back… a nickel-sized tumor on the front of my brain.

So, where do I go from here?

As I write this, I am preparing to have the brain tumor hit with a high-dose radiation beam tomorrow, February 9th, 2012. The doctors have confidence that it will “get it.” However, there may still be some lingering cells in my body that are waiting to turn into tumors, and there’s no way to tell whether or not that will happen. Apparently, I can only wait and see.

But, there is hope.

I’ve decided that I can no longer submit myself to these treatments. Once my chemotherapy is over – which would be a week and two days from today – I have decided make arrangements to visit the Gerson Retreat in Hawaii.

From their website:

The Gerson Therapy is a nutritional program that utilizes the body’s own mechanism in the treatment of chronic debilitating illness. It was introduced 50 years ago by Max Gerson, M.D. Gerson Therapy is a detoxification and rebuilding program. It consists of flooding the body every day with nutrients from about 20 pounds of organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables.

As a result of detoxification and increased oxygenation, cellular regeneration of all organs occurs, in particular that of the liver, and the immune system is restored to its optimal function.

Gerson therapy may be used to help recovery from chemotherapy or after surgery or radiation.

The woman who helps me clean my apartment personally knows two people who have healed themselves from Cancer using the Gerson therapy. A blogger in Australia named Jessica Ainscough details how she saved her own arm from amputation using the Gerson therapy as well. You can read all about it on her site, The Wellness Warrior.

I believe that my doctors have the ability to kill tumors left and right, and I have no doubt of their capabilities in that respect. However, chemotherapy, radiation and surgery do not address the underlying reasons that cause people to get cancer in the first place. I would like to get to the bottom of this as soon as I can. The survivor statistics for my type of metastatic cancer are pretty grim. I refuse to be among those statistics.

Give What You Can, If You Can

Two weeks with a guest at the Gerson retreat starts at $11,000, not including airfare. Once a patient returns home, they must continue the therapy for another two years. The therapy consists of numerous, 100% organic juices a day made with a top-of-the-line juice press. Thank goodness my husband is gainfully employed, and we can fund this with credit cards at least for a little while. But anything that you can contribute to make this a little easier on us will never be forgotten. I am pledging that if I can raise a considerable amount towards the Gerson retreat and therapy, that I will donate 10% of my profits–once my business is again profitable–to an ethical charity. That’s just the kind of show that I am running around here.

I am planning to live a very long time, and therefore I am taking responsibility for my health and doing the hard work that is required to keep me here. Thanks.

9 Comments

1. Posted February 11, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Huzzah!

Comment, comment, comment.

2. Brooke Hatfield
    Posted February 11, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

You probably don’t know me but you graduated with my husband Jeremy from high school. I read about this on Facebook and just wanted to say I hope everything went well yesterday with your procedure. I can’t even imagine going through what you have gone through and the road ahead. You are obviously an amazingly strong woman! I wish you the best and hope you have great results from the Gerson retreat. I will also keep you in my prayers! Best Wishes!

3. Josephine and Phil
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Lillian, We are Phil’s parents and have been following your journey through him. May God continue to bless and protect your life. Continue to use this time to hone your considerable writing skills, so that you can make all of the technical, medical jargon readable. I can’t wait to read your biography and how you will have navigated your way to good health!

4. Katie Dillon
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

You’re an amazing inspiration and please keep fighting. Pomaika ‘i!

5. Posted February 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

hi, I am Heidi Hoernlein’s sister. i want to encourage you to connect with Anthony

He has been volunteering with the Gerson Institute for a while.
    Wishing you well.
    Marianne

6. Posted February 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Please, please, please… visit http://www.gerson.org and call 619-685-5353 and speak to a member of their staff there. Information regarding current standings of certification is important, especially regarding your health… I have been traveling quite a bit and helping a number of people using the education and experience I received there. I do not hand out cards or create websites stating my qualifications or standards… I let my references speak for themselves as I advise anyone going into this do… The institute also has a database of willing healed patients who provide their telephone numbers to share with those interested in using the therapy. I wish you the best in healing Lillian.

Anthony

7. Posted October 31, 2012 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Hello,
    I am a brain tumor survivor. I nearly died as it was undiagnosed for about ten years. I live in the States and recently started an encouragement blog. i hope you visit it at: http://weepingintodancing.wordpress.com/

I am sending off a prayer for you tonight.

8. Posted January 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Dear One,
    I am a brain tumor survivor and my mom is a lung cancer survivor. I have a blog I think you have visited called WEEPING INTO DANCING at WordPress. I am going to reblog this post. i hope you get some donations. My prayers go with you. I have also heard good and hopeful things about the Gerson Therapy.

9. Posted January 1, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

My Readers are concerned about your welfare. They want to know how you are doing and if you have been on the Gerson Diet. Please email me so I can let them know. Blessings!!

One Trackback

• […] Love Driven Prints Graphic Designs by Lillian Davenport-Partac Skip to content PortfolioIllustrationBook DesignPersonal WorkPublication + Editorial DesignInformation DesignPackage DesignBlogAbout | Contact « I Have a Brain Tumor, and I Need Your Help […]